Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A sense of relief

I've decided to change my focus for my blog.

I've struggled to write in this space because I'm so intimated by the overwhelming number of fabulous blogs out there which I love, love, love to follow. I'm not witty and urbane, I don't take fabulous photographs, I don't really even tell a story very well. Although I'm an accomplished a gal who has had a blog for nearly 5 years now (in various forms), written science papers, a PhD thesis, presented to hundreds of peers - I hate writing. It isn't really enjoyable for me. I'm too threatened by the thought of people actually reading what I put down on paper.

I am always thinking of fabulous ideas to blog but when it comes down to putting pen to paper I feel like this:
Picture
Deer in the headlights!
It doesn't really make sense to even blog does it?? I wouldn't stress my self out by blogging except that I love sharing what I've made, what I'm up to & where I've found inspiration from other people in blog-land. I still want to have a conversation without the pressure of having to live up to others - be the blog to follow - build a readership - show the beautiful life - put up fab tutorials - you get the idea. I want to be here, but how.....

Then it struck me yesterday. It finally dawned on me who I'm writing this for. I want this space to be able to talk to my sister. My fabulous sister has lived in Canada for 10+ years and some days, like today, I miss her terribly. Together we began the Craftymammas blog over 4 years ago when my Wee Man was born as a way of sharing photos of what we've been up to & links to other fabulousness we had found. Back then, she was the sewer, I could barely sew a straight line! Now, I'm much more accomplished, though still have a long ways to go & learning new things every time a tackle a new project. We never expected others to read or follow the blog so it was a pleasant surprise when they did.

Recently we stopped posting to Craftymammas as Jacq now has her own business Sew Simple Designs, and me Mollydag Made so it made sense to have our own spaces. But in doing this, I lost my purpose for why I blog, and the confidence to do it.

Picture
So because I can't sit at our local and chat over a cup of coffee, I'll do it here. Consider this my first Chat With Jacq. Who knows what I'll want to blab to you about the next time we'll meet, but at least now I now feel under no pressure to be anything that I'm not.

I've gone back and read over what I've written and cracked myself up. Lordy if anyone that isn't family is still reading this post, kudos to you! I told you I'm not witty and can tell a funny story :)

So, by all means follow along on a regular basis or time-to-time, this won't be a private conversation. Grab your cup and join me when you can.... I'm now ready to have a good chat.

Love Amber
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment