Wednesday, January 2, 2008

4-in-1 dress

I loved the simplicity of this dress, so set out to make one for Amelia for Xmas. Christmas got a little hectic and I missed the day but it is better late than never. Sorry Amelia, at least I got it finished before Winter set in :)

Using Mark's digital calipers, a dress of Amelia's & Giles as a moving dress dummy I upscaled a pattern from this photo. I adjusted it it make the dress a lot shorter to try and get it above her knees. The short length will hopefully make climbing (her new found, and well practiced skill) easier. the other adjustment was to use snaps instead of ties for the front and back. I figured with a squirmy 1yr old, snaps were much easier than trying to tie two bows. For an older child ties would look nice. Oh, I also used snaps on one of the shoulder straps as the neck hole looked a bit small & it was an excuse to use more snaps!.

So here it is, 4 dresses for the price of 1...

Dress 1 and 2; Front & Back


Dress 3 and 4; Front & Back



I'm really pleased with how it looks. I'll give it to Bec tomorrow so hopefully we will have some 'action' shots soon.

I'd love to make one for Easton, I just don't know what size to make it. Perhaps you could measure her chest & length for me.

P.S. Sorry for the quality of the photos. Just as you get your camera fixed Jacq, I dropped our Canon A90 tonight while taking photos of the dress! It landed on the lens and has pushed it all out of alignment. It won't even turn on without a 'lens error' message. BUGGER!!! These photos (and many to come) were taken on my cell phone. Bugger, bugger, could it happen at a worse time when buying a new one is out of the question? bugger. Oh well, these things happen.

6 comments:

  1. Nevermind the photos it looks great! I had no idea that the dress could be worn 4 ways. Genius. Oh! Welcome back craftmamma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey amber, Its jacq's friend tash(we worked with eachother at vultures and still keep in contact now) I wanted to know if you can give me a few basic sewing lessons. I have inherited an old singer sewing machine and an elna overlocker and have NO IDEA so to what I'm doing. I have 2 kiddies so I know how busy things get, but if you have an afternoon free I'd love to pick your brain :)

    Tasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely adorable. I'll be trying this for sure. Yep I'll sen through her measurements.
    By the way, my friend Tash (hi Tash!!) is way cool...you would love her. You two should totally get together, don't hestitate to call her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tasha, I'm no sewer (I more wing-it and see!) but I would love to get together one afternoon. You can email me at:
    amberstar76 at hotmail ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] 2008 Dress in action Posted by Amber under sewing   Bec just sent me some photos of the 4-in-1 dress in [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress looks so pretty. I also enjoy sewing. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete